Our specialist child therapists offer online counselling to children aged 5-12.
If you are worried about a child aged 5-12 and are looking for expert counselling, we can help. Our team of qualified counsellors are specialists in working with children. This means you can get a child the psychological support they need, when they need it.
Our online counselling service gives you access to support, regardless of your location. We do also offer in-person counselling to schools and families in the North West of England.
What we can offer you:
- Highly qualified, experienced, professional counsellors who are specialists in working with children online.
- Appointments available immediately, meaning no waiting list to access expert psychological support.
- Online therapy so wherever you are in the UK, you have access to specialist child counsellors.
- Counselling for children during school holidays as well as term time. They just need to have access to a computer, tablet or phone and wifi and a private space to talk. (Or we have therapy rooms and spaces we can use in the North West).
All our counsellors have:
- At least a Masters’ level qualification in counselling.
- Full registration with the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP)This means they adhere to the BACP’s ethical and professional standards.*
- Extensive experience (at least 10 years) of working with children and young people.
- Enhanced DBS certificates, specialist training in safeguarding children and weekly clinical supervision. This ensures a professional, safe experience for all the children, schools and families we work with.
- Significant experience of working online with children. This means they communicate effectively to help a child feel at ease.
*Several of our counsellors are also qualified teachers and are registered graduate members of the British Psychological Society (BPS), giving them additional expertise to be able to best support a child, depending on their needs.
Arrange a call back today for a short, free consultancy call to discuss how we could help your child, or a child in your school. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“I don’t feel as worried all the time anymore.” Sophie, aged 8.
You may also find the frequently asked questions below helpful.
What issues can online counselling help a child with?
The children we work with are struggling with a range of issues. These include:
- low mood
- low confidence
- intrusive thoughts and repetitive behaviours
- eating disorders
“It has been good to help me talk about what was happening at school and in my head.” Calvin, aged 10.
Contact us today if a child is struggling to discuss how our counselling service can help.
Why might online counselling be helpful for a child?
Counselling can be very helpful helpful for a child in many ways. These include:
- Having a private, one-to-one, supportive space to explore what is worrying them.
- Working with a warm, friendly professional to guide them through dealing with their worries.
- Helping a child to understand and talk about their thoughts, feelings and behaviours.
- Working through possible solutions to the problems they are facing.
- Learning helpful coping skills, such as emotional regulation and stress reduction techniques.
How does online counselling for a child work?
- Contact us to set up an initial discussion to discuss how we can help.
- We set up the first session, discuss where it will take place and run a quick test of the secure technology so you are ready.
- The counsellor will contact you before the session to say hello and answer any final questions.
- The sessions begin between the counsellor and the child usually at the same time each week.
- The child may have some practice to do between sessions that parents/teachers can support them with. We also usually give children free access to our Mind Moose programme to use to help them learn evidence-based coping skills.
- If any safeguarding concerns are raised, the counsellor will discuss these with the school and/or parents.
How much does Mind Moose counselling cost?
We usually offer counselling sessions for a child in blocks of 6 or 12 sessions, to ensure they make a difference to a child. We do understand you may wish to buy a single session to see whether it is appropriate and helpful.
Single sessions: £80
Block of sessions for 1 younger child
- 6 x 30 minute sessions: £330
- 12 x 30 minute sessions: £600
Block of sessions for 1 older child
- 6 x 50 minute sessions: £480
- 12 x 50 minute sessions: £880
Schools can also benefit from discounts by purchasing blocks for multiple pupils/and or staff. You can read more about our counselling services for schools here.
Why do I have to pay for counselling for a child?
Unfortunately the reality in the UK is that it is very difficult to get a child psychological support from CAMHS, even when they have been referred by a GP. There is a high chance they may be rejected and local services are very stretched, so waiting lists are long.
It is also very well established that getting the right mental health support early is very important for children to ensure that problems they are dealing with do not develop further and become more serious in the future. Therefore, getting early, specialist support for a child when they need it can not only be very helpful for a child, but can save a great deal of ongoing worry – and money – for families and teachers.
We know some charities offer free counselling for school-aged children. However, they usually use counsellors who have not yet completed their training. We wholeheartedly disagree with this approach. Children who are referred for counselling are already experiencing issues with their mental wellbeing and are often highly vulnerable. We therefore don’t believe it is ethical practice to refer them to anyone other than a counsellor who is a fully qualified and experienced professional.
Our counsellors are all fully qualified and registered professionals who are experts in working with children. We look after our staff and consider it is important they are paid a fair amount in exchange for their expertise and valuable work. This allows our counsellors to provide the best quality service to the children, families and schools we work with.
Why do I have to buy blocks of sessions?
As a social impact, not-for-profit company we are committed to making a real and lasting difference to the children we work with. So, while there may be free or lower-cost options you can access for a child, we know what works in terms of making a real difference to a child’s psychological health and are confident that our online child counselling service represents excellence value for money.
We do not offer ‘one-off’ counselling sessions, as we consider this to be an unhelpful ‘sticking plaster’, rather than leading to lasting change and supporting a child’s long-term best interests. We do understand you may wish to buy a one-off session to see whether it is the right fit for a child, or purchase additional single sessions and that is, of course, fine. However it’s important to recognise that it takes time to build up the relationship between a child and a counsellor, which is a very important aspect of counselling. Therefore, the minimum number of sessions we usually work with a child for is 6 (usually once a week).. We also will not take your money if we feel that we cannot help a child for whatever reason and will discuss with you how you may be able to get the support that we feel is needed.
Please contact us today to set up a call to get started.